Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Why I dance

For my Orientation to Dance class I was asked to write a personal philosophy paper about why I dance. Growing up I never actually gave it any thought, because I just knew I loved it. That's all that mattered. So if you were ever wondering why, let me put your mind at ease. 
 
My personal philosophy and definition: dance is nothing without a body and empty without a soul. It is the connection your spirit makes to another that takes this art form to a higher level. It is that connection that engages an audience and separates the good from the great. It should be a challenge and a joyful experience. Knowing that, why do I dance?
          The all-encompassing reason behind it all is it brings me complete and utter joy. It fits me and makes my world a better, more beautiful place. Through dance I have met some of the most incredible individuals I have ever known. These friendships are built on sacrifice, love, hard work, laughter, performance and that soul-to-soul connection that cannot be fabricated.
          I dance because it fills me with a sense of purpose.
          I dance because sometimes, words are not good enough to describe how I am feeling. Movement never lies. It is a barometer telling the state of the soul's weather to all who can read it.” -Martha Graham 
    I dance to thank my Heavenly Father for blessing me with a body and the opportunities that I have been afforded throughout my life because of dance. It is humbling and a good reminder to not take this gift for granted.  
    I dance because nothing wonderful ever came without a sacrifice.
    Dance is for everyone. Put on a song, breathe deep and let your body give in to the movement that it so inherently and naturally wants to do. Dance is nothing without a body and empty without a soul. It is the connection your spirit makes to another that takes this art form to a higher level. It is that connection that engages an audience and separates the good from the great. It should be a challenge and a joyful experience. Knowing that, I have to dance.
We pose well because of our rigorous dance training. Best friends.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment