Monday, June 25, 2012

grass clippings

There are good people in the world.

My landlord asked if someone from my side of the duplex would mow the lawn this week because it was starting to look like the grasslands. Jill has been with family, Ave works all day and Mel was leaving to New York so I graciously volunteered for the job. One problem, I've never mowed the lawn with a push lawn mower. Now I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this, but whatever. As of right now while I'm writing this I can say otherwise. Anyway, I came home from practice and got the lawn mower out. (is lawn mower one word or two? I don't know obviously so I'm going with the choice that seems to suit my mood best right now) Well it is a piece of junk. It has no bag, it stops every 2 minutes and frankly, I think it needs to be retired. Then it ran out of gas before I could demolish the weed patch that went up to my knee cap. Yep, you read it right - my knee cap. So I did what any sensible person would do. I took a shower and told myself that after the birthday festivities for my cute dad were over I would finish the job. FAST FORWARD 9 hours. I'm driving home from my parents house, pretty beat from babysitting and slip 'n' sliding all day, and notice as I drive up that the rest of the lawn is mowed. And it looks amazing. Upon further investigation, all the extra grass spewed out everywhere was swept up and in the garbage. I went to my neighbors and asked if they finished, they said no. My neighbor who helped me raise the lawn mower to cut longer grass didn't do it either. It was my cute home teachers from last semester who finished the work. I never would have known if I hadn't snooped around a bit. I started to cry. Not like an ugly sob but a cute, almost angelic cry. Kidding, but I guess it would be more correct to say I got emotional and teary eyed.


Honestly, that is one the sweetest things that has happened in awhile. They made no attempt to get credit for what they did and it really meant so much to me. To Andrew and Kevin, thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment